For the past few months I have been working with the wonderful Wellington printer, Wayne Mallo of Valley Print in Petone, to produce an updated and enlarged version of my book “Old Thorndon : Four Walkaways through Wellington’s Historic Thorndon.” (Wellington is the capital of New Zealand and Thorndon its oldest suburb, still breathes an air of the past.)
“I’m biased about Thorndon and I want you to love it as much as I do.” – Dinah
Thorndon almost disappeared during the great motorway blitzes of the 60’s and 70’s when town planners and developers regarded Thorndon as a slum, destined for demolition. But our local Mafia fought back and against all odds the people of Thorndon won the battle.
This is a glossy 54 page guide full of cartoons, photographs and new maps.
- A lively readable history of our beloved suburb
- An invaluable entertainment for bored house guests.
- What was Pipitea Pa like in the 1840s?
- What did the diarists Charlotte Godley and Eleanor Petre make of Thorndon?
- The barmen, bullockies, bigshots and bishops are all here in Old Thorndon.
- And new maps of our heritage buildings grand and humble.
If you would like to order now, it’s only NZ$ 15.00, please contact Dinah.